Applicants to master’s programs where a GRE score is required for admission can be admitted restricted without a score, pending they provide an acceptable score no later than the midterm of their first semester.
Please do the following before you start the 5 Steps to Enroll
- You MUST fill out the admission form so we can better assist your application to FIEA.
- Please watch all of the admissions videos.
- International Students: Please see the international admissions page for requirements.
- If you have questions, please email admissions, visit our contact us page or call 407-235-3580. Additional contact info can be found here.
1. Pick a PRD
When you apply to FIEA, you must choose one of the Portfolio Review Dates (PRD) listed below.
Portfolio Review Dates are online submission deadlines when everything is due. Following the PRD, we review student portfolios and make admission decisions. Students are encouraged to submit for the earliest PRD they can.
Programming applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their applications to FIEA as soon as possible, regardless of PRD dates. The admission committee will make a timely decision to any completed programming portfolio. Applicants are encouraged to turn in their programming portfolios, transcripts and test scores as soon as possible. Submitting your portfolio as early as possible improves your chances of acceptance into the FIEA programming track. However, international and domestic application deadlines (set by UCF Graduate Studies) still apply.
Online Admission Chats (get your ? answered)
Thursday, October 24, 2019 Wednesday, November 14, 2019 Thursday, January 23, 2020 Tuesday, March 24, 2020
- Wednesday, May 13, 2020
PRD Dates for Fall 2020 Class
Friday, November 22, 2019 Friday, February 14, 2020 Friday, April 10, 2020
- Friday, June 12, 2020
To qualify for a PRD, at a minimum, steps 2-5 must be completed and the following items must have been received:
To UCF Graduate Studies:
- Online application (Step 2)
- Undergraduate transcripts (Step 3)
- GRE scores (TOEFL scores if applicable) (Artists do not have to submit their GRE scores prior to receiving an admission decision) (Step 5)
- Portfolio (Step 4)
- Written Interview (Step 4)
2. Fill Out Application
Students must apply online through the UCF Graduate Studies website. You can follow the link below to begin your application.
- Select the “Interactive Entertainment MS” option under the UCF Degree Program Information tab.
- Choose Fall 2020 as your start term.
- You do not have to upload any essays, resumes or personal statements when completing the UCF graduate application for FIEA.
Portfolios will be submitted separately. Applicants will receive information regarding the portfolio after submitting their UCF graduate application (see Step 4 for details).
3. Submit Your Transcripts
Be sure to submit your transcripts prior to your selected PRD date.
FIEA will review transcripts as part of your application even if you are still working toward completing your undergraduate degree and are still enrolled in coursework. Once the degree has been conferred, you will be required to submit the official final copy of your transcript.
There are two ways to submit your transcripts to UCF—electronically or by mail.
- To submit your transcripts electronically, you will need to have your university email the transcripts to UCF’s College of Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your school does not allow for electronic submissions, please have your school send the official transcript to the UCF Division of Graduate Studies address located in the “Where To Send Stuff” box.
4. Submit Your Portfolio
Portfolio requirements differ based on the track you are applying for at FIEA.
After completing your UCF graduate application, you will be emailed portfolio requirements for the track you selected within the application.
The components of the portfolio form submission are as follows:
- Track-specific portfolio (see additional details below)
- Written interview
- Name, email, phone number and relationship for two professional references.
The form will include space for you to include links to files for DropBox, Google Drive or other file sharing services.
FIEA will contact references at our discretion. References do not have to write letters on your behalf and you only have to submit their contact information to FIEA. FIEA prefers references from professors, academic advisors, supervisors and others who can attest to your academic skills and work habits.
Because of the high volume of portfolios received, we regret that we cannot offer individual feedback on your materials that you submit as part of the application process.
Based on your intended area of study, you will submit the following within the portfolio form:
- Programmers: Submit your best source code that you personally created for school projects or side projects on a DVD or CD-R, or by url to a personal website or file sharing server. Go here for a video on details.
- Artists: Will submit a personal portfolio of 7-12 pieces of their best work. Technical artists will also include their source code. Go here for a video on details.
- Producers: Will choose from a timed game analysis, game design, level design, video production or game prototype to complete based on relevant skills. Go here for a video on details.
See the “Where To Send Stuff” box for where you should send your portfolio.
5. Submit Your GRE
All applicants to FIEA must take the General GRE Test and applicants are highly encouraged to take the test as early as possible. Programming and production applicants must submit their GRE score to UCF before their portfolio can be reviewed.
Your scores must be sent directly from ETS, Educational Testing Service, to UCF and scores must be no more than five years old. Use school code 5233 – University of Central Florida. There is no need to select a department; your scores will go to UCF’s College of Graduate Studies and be linked to your online application.
The locations where you can take the exam are on the ETS website. Please note that you should enroll to take the GRE General Test.
If you have already taken the GRE, information for sending score reports can be found at www.gre.org, then click on the link “Order Additional Score Reports.”
All applicants are required to complete a written interview that focuses on your background, current skills and future plans. These interview questions will be provided as part of the portfolio submission form. Applicants must have this completed before their chosen PRD. FIEA may request a follow-up phone or in-person interview at our discretion. Please email admissions for more information.
Where To Send Stuff
All application materials, including application forms, fees, transcripts, GRE scores and other reference materials that cannot be completed online should be mailed to:
UCF College of Graduate Studies
Millican Hall, Room 230
PO Box 160112
Orlando, FL 32816-0112
If sending through FEDEX/UPS:
UCF College of Graduate Studies
4365 Andromeda Loop N.
Millican Hall, Room 230
Orlando FL 32816-0112
Portfolio material should be submitted by following the email instructions sent after completing the application.