How To Apply To FIEA
- Please do the following before you start the 6 Steps to Enroll
- You MUST fill out the admission form so we can better assist your application to FIEA.
- Please watch all of the admissions videos
- International Students: Please see the international admissions page for requirements.
- If you have questions, please email admissions, visit our contact us page or call 407-235-3580. Additional contact info can be found here.
1. Pick a PRD
When you apply to FIEA, you must choose one of the Portfolio Review Dates (PRD) listed below. Portfolio Review Dates are online submission deadlines when everything is due. Following the PRD, we review student portfolios and make admission decisions. Students are encouraged to submit for the earliest PRD they can.
Programming applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their applications to FIEA as soon as possible, regardless of PRD dates. The admission committee will make a timely decision to any completed programming portfolio and applicants are encouraged to turn in their programming portfolios, transcripts and test scores as soon as possible. Submitting your portfolio as early as possible improves your chances of acceptance into the FIEA programming track. However, international and domestic application deadlines (set by UCF Graduate Studies) still apply.
PRD Dates for Fall 2019 Class
- Tuesday, November 27, 2018
- Friday, February 15, 2019
- Friday, April 12, 2019
- Monday, June 10, 2019
To qualify for a PRD, at a minimum, you must submit the following items:
Online Admission Chats (get your ? answered)
- Thursday, October 25, 2018
- Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- Wednesday, January 23, 2019
- Wednesday, March 27, 2019
- Thursday, May 23, 2019
Portfolio (Step 4)
Written Interview (Step 4)
To UCF Graduate Studies:
Online application (Step 2)
Undergraduate transcripts (Step 3)
GRE scores (TOEFL scores if applicable) (Step 5)
References (Step 6)
2. Fill Out Application
Students must apply online at
- Select the “Interactive Entertainment MS” option in the online application.
- On “Campus” you should fill in “Main Campus.”
- Choose Fall 2019 as your start term.
- You do not have to upload any essays, resumes or personal statements when completing your application. These items can be submitted directly to FIEA admissions.
- You CANNOT indicate a track (production, programming, art) on the online app.
Once you have applied online, send an email to admissions stating that you have applied and include your legal name that you used in the application.
Portfolios should be sent separately to FIEA admissions. (see Step 4 for details).
3. Submit Your Transcripts
You can submit your transcripts even if you are still enrolled as an undergrad.
There are two ways to submit your transcripts to UCF—electronically or by mail.
- To submit your transcripts electronically, you will need to have your university email the transcripts to UCF’s College of Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your school does not allow for electronic submissions, please have your school send the official transcript to the UCF Division of Graduate Studies address located in the “Where To Send Stuff” box.
If you are an international applicant, you are required to send additional education documents for evaluation. See this page for more information.
If you are currently attending or have graduated from UCF, FIEA admissions has direct access to your transcripts, so you don’t need to take any steps to send them to us.
4. Submit Your Portfolio
Portfolio requirements differ based on the track you are applying for at FIEA. All applicants now must also submit a written interview with their portfolio. Please contact FIEA for the written interview instructions.
If you want to submit your portfolio as a ZIP file, please do not email it to FIEA. UCF’s email servers do not allow ZIP files as attachments.
Instead, upload your files to DropBox, Google Drive or other file sharing services and email an appropriate link to admissions. This will ensure that we receive your portfolio.
Note: Meeting minimum UCF admission criteria does not guarantee program admission. Final admission is based on evaluation of the applicant’s abilities, past performance, references, match of this program and faculty expertise to the applicant’s career/academic goals, and the applicant’s potential for completing the degree.
Because of the high volume of portfolios received, we regret that we cannot offer individual feedback on your materials that you submit as part of the application process.
Based on your intended area of study, submit the following:
- Programmers: Submit your best source code that you personally created for school projects or side projects on a DVD or CD-R, or by url to a personal website or file sharing server. Go here for a video on details.
- Artists: Will submit a personal portfolio of 7-12 pieces of their best work. Technical artists will also include their source code. Email admissions for the document. Go here for a video on details.
- Producers: Will choose from a timed game analysis, game design, level design, video production or game prototype to complete based on relevant skills. Email admissions for the documents. Go here for a video on details.
Note: Please do not email admisssions for the production assignment unless you have time in your schedule to work on it. The deadline for you to complete the assignment will begin when FIEA emails it to you. If you request the assignment on a weekend or holiday, it will be sent to you the next business day.
See the Where To Send Stuff box for where you should send your portfolio. See Step 7 for submitting References with your portfolio.
5. Submit Your GRE
All applicants to FIEA must take the General GRE Test and applicants are highly encouraged to take the test as early as possible. Programming and production applicants must submit their GRE score to UCF before their portfolio can be reviewed.
Your scores must be sent directly from ETS, Educational Testing Service, to UCF and scores must be no more than five years old. Use school code 5233 – University of Central Florida. There is no need to select a department; your scores will go to UCF’s College of Graduate Studies and be linked to your online application.
The locations where you can take the exam are on the ETS website. Please note that you should enroll to take the GRE General Test.
If you have already taken the GRE, information for sending score reports can be found at www.gre.org, then click on the link “Order Additional Score Reports.”
6. Submit 3 Reference Names
FIEA requires that you turn in 3 professional references. These references should be willing and able to attest to your academic, professional and personal achievements.
Here is the NEW process to submit your references:
- When you are completing the online application you can bypass the part where it asks you to input Recommenders. Leave it blank.
- Submit your app when it is ready.
- Once you submit your application, a checklist will populate and one of your X marks will be listed as “list of references.”
- Scroll down to where it states “Upload Materials” and choose the drop down menu. There will be an option to select “List of References.”
- From there you can choose a file, either pdf or word and upload it directly to your application portal.
Note: references do not have to write letters on your behalf and you only have to submit their contact information (spelled out below) to FIEA. FIEA will contact references at our discretion.
Please provide no more than one reference from a family member or friend. FIEA prefers references from professors, academic advisors, supervisors and others who can attest to your academic skills and work habits. References can be submitted with your portfolio or can be emailed separately to admissions.
Please include the following info:
- Reference Name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Relationship to applicant
All applicants are required to complete a written interview that focuses on your background, current skills and future plans. These interview questions will be provided on one of the portfolio documents. Applicants must have this completed before their chosen PRD. FIEA may request a follow-up phone or in-person interview at our discretion. Please email admissions for more information.
Where To Send Stuff
All application materials, including application forms, fees, transcripts, GRE scores and other reference materials that cannot be completed online should be mailed to:
UCF College of Graduate Studies
Millican Hall, Room 230
PO Box 160112
Orlando, FL 32816-0112
If sending through FEDEX/UPS:
UCF College of Graduate Studies
4365 Andromeda Loop N.
Millican Hall, Room 230
Orlando FL 32816-0112
Portfolio material should be emailed to admissions or mailed to:
500 Livingston Street
Orlando, FL 32801