Follow these easy steps to apply to FIEA.
It is strongly recommended that you review the admissions videos before you begin. If you have questions, please email admissions, visit our contact us page or call 407-235-3580. Additional contact info can be found here.
International Students: Please see the international admissions page for requirements.
1. Pick a PRD
**Before starting the formal admissions process please fill out this form so we can better assist you.**
Getting into FIEA requires you to choose one of the Portfolio Review Dates (PRD) listed below. Portfolio Review Dates are where we review student portfolios and make admission decisions. Students are encouraged to submit for the earliest PRD they can.
Programming applicants can submit their applications and portfolios at any time during the year, regardless of the PRD’s. The admission committee will do their best to make a timely decision to any completed programming portfolio and applicants are encouraged to turn in their programming portfolios, transcripts and test scores as soon as possible. However, international and domestic application deadlines (set by UCF Graduate Studies) still apply.
PRD Dates for Fall 2017 Class
- November 14, 2016
- February 6, 2017
- April 3, 2017
- June 12, 2017
To qualify for a PRD, at a minimum, you must have
- Completed an online application (Step 2)
- Submitted your portfolio and written interview (Step 4)
- Turned in a preliminary or final undergraduate transcript (Step 3)
- All programming and production candidates need to have turned in a GRE score before the PRD deadline (Step 6)
2. Fill Out Application
Students must apply online at
- Select the “Interactive Entertainment MS” option in the online application.
- Select “Orlando” for the campus you plan to attend, even though FIEA is located downtown.
- Note that you CANNOT indicate a track (production, programming, art) on the online app.
- Once you have applied online, send an email to admissions stating that you have applied and include your legal name that you used in the application.
- Please note you do not have to upload any essays, resumes or personal statements when completing your application. These items can be sumitted directly to FIEA admissions.
- Portfolios should be sent separately to FIEA admissions. (see Step 4 for details).
3. Submit Your Transcripts
You can submit your transcripts even if you are still enrolled as an undergrad.
There are two ways to submit your transcripts to UCF—electronically or by mail.
- To submit your transcripts electronically, you will need to have your university submit an electronic copy of your final transcripts to UCF. Tell your university to use school code 5233-University of Central Florida.
- If your school does not allow for electronic submissions, please have your school send the official transcript to the UCF Division of Graduate Studies address located in the “Where To Send Stuff” box.
If you are an international applicant, you are required to send additional education documents for evaluation. See this page for more information.
If you are currently attending or have graduated from UCF, FIEA admissions has direct access to your transcripts, so you don’t need to take any steps to send them to us.
4. Submit Your Portfolio
Portfolio requirements differ based on the track you are applying for at FIEA. All applicants now must also submit a written interview with their portfolio.
Note: Meeting minimum UCF admission criteria does not guarantee program admission. Final admission is based on evaluation of the applicant’s abilities, past performance, references, match of this program and faculty expertise to the applicant’s career/academic goals, and the applicant’s potential for completing the degree.
Because of the high volume of portfolios received, we regret that we cannot offer individual feedback on your materials that you submit as part of the application process.
Based on your intended area of study, submit the following:
- Programmers: Submit your best source code that you personally created for school projects or side projects on a DVD or CD-R, or by url to a personal website or file sharing server. Go here for a video on details.
- Artists: Will submit a personal portfolio. Technical artists will also include their source code. Email admissions for the document. Go here for a video on details.
- Producers: Will choose from a timed game analysis, level design, video production or game prototype to complete based on relevant skills. Email admissions for the documents. Go here for a video on details.
Note: Please do not email admisssions for the production assignment unless you have time in your schedule to work on it. The deadline for you to complete the assignment will begin when FIEA emails it to you. If you request the assignment on a weekend or holiday, it will be sent to you the next business day.
See the Where To Send Stuff box for where you should send your portfolio. See Step 7 for submitting References with your portfolio.
5. Apply For Financial Assistance
If you think you are going to need financial assistance, please apply as early as possible!
To be considered for the full range of financial aid available, you should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is available January 1 of each year. Go to http://finaid.ucf.edu for more information on how to apply.
6. Submit Your GRE
All applicants to FIEA must take the General GRE Test and applicants are highly encouraged to take the test as early as possible. Programming and production applicants must submit their GRE score to UCF before their portfolio can be reviewed.
Your scores must be sent directly from ETS, Educational Testing Service, to UCF and scores must be no more than five years old. Use school code 5233 – University of Central Florida.
The locations where you can take the exam are on the ETS website. Please note that you should enroll to take the GRE General Test.
If you have already taken the GRE, information for sending score reports can be found at www.gre.org, then click on the link “Order Additional Score Reports.”
7. Submit 3 Reference Names
FIEA requires that you turn in 3 personal references with your portfolio (see Step 4). These references should be willing and able to attest to your academic, professional and personal achievements.
Note: references do not have to write letters on your behalf and you only have to submit their contact information (spelled out below) to FIEA. FIEA will contact references at our discretion.
Please provide no more than one reference from a family member or friend. FIEA prefers references from professors, academic advisors, supervisors and others who can attest to your academic skills and work habits. References can be submitted with your portfolio or can be emailed separately to admissions.
Please include the following info:
- Reference Name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Relationship to applicant