How To Apply To FIEA
- Please do the following before you start the 6 Steps to Enroll
- You must fill out the admission form so we can better assist your application to FIEA.
- Please watch all of the admissions videos
- International Students: Please see the international admissions page for requirements.
- If you have questions, please email admissions, visit our contact us page or call 407-235-3580. Additional contact info can be found here.
1. Pick a PRD
When you apply to FIEA, you must choose one of the Portfolio Review Dates (PRD) listed below. Portfolio Review Dates are online submission deadlines when everything is due. Following the PRD, we review student portfolios and make admission decisions. Students are encouraged to submit for the earliest PRD they can.
Programming applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their applications to FIEA as soon as possible, regardless of PRD dates. The admission committee will make a timely decision to any completed programming portfolio and applicants are encouraged to turn in their programming portfolios, transcripts and test scores as soon as possible. Submitting your portfolio as early as possible improves your chances of acceptance into the FIEA programming track. However, international and domestic application deadlines (set by UCF Graduate Studies) still apply.
PRD Dates for Fall 2017 Class
November 14, 2016 February 6, 2017
- April 3, 2017
- June 12, 2017
To qualify for a PRD, at a minimum, you must submit the following items:
Portfolio (Step 4)
Written Interview (Step 4)
References (Step 6)
To UCF Graduate Studies:
Online application (Step 2)
Undergraduate transcripts (Step 3)
GRE scores (TOEFL scores if applicable) (Step 5)
2. Fill Out Application
Students must apply online at
- Select the “Interactive Entertainment MS” option in the online application.
- You no longer have to indicate a campus on your application.
- Choose Fall 2017 as your start term.
- You do not have to upload any essays, resumes or personal statements when completing your application. These items can be sumitted directly to FIEA admissions.
- You CANNOT indicate a track (production, programming, art) on the online app.
Once you have applied online, send an email to admissions stating that you have applied and include your legal name that you used in the application.
Portfolios should be sent separately to FIEA admissions. (see Step 4 for details).
3. Submit Your Transcripts
You can submit your transcripts even if you are still enrolled as an undergrad.
There are two ways to submit your transcripts to UCF—electronically or by mail.
- To submit your transcripts electronically, you will need to have your university email the transcripts to UCF’s College of Graduate Studies at email@example.com.
- If your school does not allow for electronic submissions, please have your school send the official transcript to the UCF Division of Graduate Studies address located in the “Where To Send Stuff” box.
If you are an international applicant, you are required to send additional education documents for evaluation. See this page for more information.
If you are currently attending or have graduated from UCF, FIEA admissions has direct access to your transcripts, so you don’t need to take any steps to send them to us.
4. Submit Your Portfolio
Portfolio requirements differ based on the track you are applying for at FIEA. All applicants now must also submit a written interview with their portfolio. Please contact FIEA for the written interview instructions.
If you want to submit your portfolio as a ZIP file, please do not email it to FIEA. UCF’s email servers do not allow ZIP files as attachments.
Instead, upload your files to DropBox, Google Drive or other file sharing services and email an appropriate link to admissions. This will ensure that we receive your portfolio.
Note: Meeting minimum UCF admission criteria does not guarantee program admission. Final admission is based on evaluation of the applicant’s abilities, past performance, references, match of this program and faculty expertise to the applicant’s career/academic goals, and the applicant’s potential for completing the degree.
Because of the high volume of portfolios received, we regret that we cannot offer individual feedback on your materials that you submit as part of the application process.
Based on your intended area of study, submit the following:
- Programmers: Submit your best source code that you personally created for school projects or side projects on a DVD or CD-R, or by url to a personal website or file sharing server. Go here for a video on details.
- Artists: Will submit a personal portfolio of 7-12 pieces of their best work. Technical artists will also include their source code. Email admissions for the document. Go here for a video on details.
- Producers: Will choose from a timed game analysis, game design, level design, video production or game prototype to complete based on relevant skills. Email admissions for the documents. Go here for a video on details.
Note: Please do not email admisssions for the production assignment unless you have time in your schedule to work on it. The deadline for you to complete the assignment will begin when FIEA emails it to you. If you request the assignment on a weekend or holiday, it will be sent to you the next business day.
See the Where To Send Stuff box for where you should send your portfolio. See Step 7 for submitting References with your portfolio.
5. Submit Your GRE
All applicants to FIEA must take the General GRE Test and applicants are highly encouraged to take the test as early as possible. Programming and production applicants must submit their GRE score to UCF before their portfolio can be reviewed.
Your scores must be sent directly from ETS, Educational Testing Service, to UCF and scores must be no more than five years old. Use school code 5233 – University of Central Florida. There is no need to select a department; your scores will go to UCF’s College of Graduate Studies and be linked to your online application.
The locations where you can take the exam are on the ETS website. Please note that you should enroll to take the GRE General Test.
If you have already taken the GRE, information for sending score reports can be found at www.gre.org, then click on the link “Order Additional Score Reports.”
6. Submit 3 Reference Names
FIEA requires that you turn in 3 personal references with your portfolio (see Step 4). These references should be willing and able to attest to your academic, professional and personal achievements.
Note: references do not have to write letters on your behalf and you only have to submit their contact information (spelled out below) to FIEA. FIEA will contact references at our discretion.
Please provide no more than one reference from a family member or friend. FIEA prefers references from professors, academic advisors, supervisors and others who can attest to your academic skills and work habits. References can be submitted with your portfolio or can be emailed separately to admissions.
Please include the following info:
- Reference Name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Relationship to applicant