Things To Do Before Applying to FIEA
- You must fill out this contact form so we can assist you in the admission process
- Watch all the admission videos, which explain the requirements in detail
- If you are an international student, please see the international admission page for requirements
- If you have questions, please visit our contact us page or call 407-235-3580
** Follow these easy steps to apply to FIEA **
1. Pick a PRD
Getting into FIEA requires you to choose one of the Portfolio Review Dates (PRD) listed below. Portfolio Review Dates are online submission deadlines when everything is due to FIEA admissions. Following each PRD, we review student portfolios and make admission decisions. Students are encouraged to submit for the earliest PRD they can.
Programming applicants can submit their applications and portfolios at any time during the year, regardless of the PRD’s. The admissions committee will do their best to make a timely decision to any completed programming portfolio and applicants are encouraged to turn in their programming portfolios, transcripts and test scores as soon as possible. However, international and domestic application deadlines (set by UCF Graduate Studies) still apply.
PRD Dates for Fall 2017 Class
- November 14, 2016
- February 6, 2017
- April 3, 2017
- June 12, 2017
To qualify for a PRD, at a minimum, you must
Submit To UCF Graduate Studies
- Online application (Step 2)
- Undergraduate transcripts (Step 3)
- GRE scores (Step 5)
Submit To FIEA
- Portfolio (Step 4)
- Written interview (Step 4)
- References (Step 6)
2. Fill Out Application
Students must apply online at
- Select “Fall 2017” as the start Term
- Select “Master’s” as the Academic Level
- Select “Traditional” as the course Delivery Method
- Select “Interactive Entertainment MS” as the Program
- You CANNOT indicate a track (production, programming, art) on the online app
- A campus selection is no longer required on the online app
- You do not have to upload any essays, resumes or personal statements when completing your application. These items can be submitted directly to FIEA admissions
- Portfolios, written interviews and references should also be sent separately to FIEA admissions. (see Step 4 for details)
- Once you have applied online, send an email to admissions stating that you have applied
3. Submit Your Transcripts
You can submit your transcripts even if you are still enrolled as an undergrad.
There are two ways to submit your transcripts to UCF—electronically or by mail.
- If your school does send electronic transcripts, you will want to follow your school’s instructions to send official transcripts to the University of Central Florida, College of Graduate Studies. Their email address for transcripts is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your school does not allow for electronic sending, please have your school mail the official transcript to the UCF College of Graduate Studies address located in the “Where To Send Stuff” box.
If you are an international applicant, you are required to send additional education documents for evaluation. See this page for more information.
If you are currently attending or have graduated from UCF, FIEA admissions has direct access to your transcripts, so you don’t need to take any steps to send them to us.
4. Submit Your Portfolio
Portfolio requirements differ based on the track you are applying for at FIEA. All applicants must also submit a written interview with their portfolio.
Note: Meeting minimum UCF admission criteria does not guarantee program admission. Final admission is based on evaluation of the applicant’s abilities, past performance, references, match of this program and faculty expertise to the applicant’s career/academic goals, and the applicant’s potential for completing the degree.
Because of the high volume of portfolios received, we regret that we cannot offer individual feedback on your materials that you submit as part of the application process.
Based on your intended area of study, submit the following:
- Programmers: Submit your best C or C++ source code that you personally created for school projects or side projects using a file sharing service like DropBox or GitHub. Go here for a video on details.
- Artists: Will submit a personal portfolio. Technical artists will also include their source code. Email admissions for a helpful document. Go here for a video on details.
- Producers: Will choose from a two-week game design, game analysis, level design, video production or game prototype to complete based on relevant skills. Email admissions for the instructions. Go here for a video on details.
Note: Please do not email admissions for the production assignment unless you have time in your schedule to work on it. The deadline for you to complete the assignment will begin when FIEA emails it to you. If you request the assignment on a weekend or holiday, it will be sent to you the next business day.
5. Submit Your GRE
All applicants to FIEA must take the GRE General Test and applicants are highly encouraged to take the test as early as possible. Programming and production applicants must submit their GRE score to UCF before their portfolio can be reviewed.
Your scores must be sent directly from ETS, Educational Testing Service, to UCF and scores must be no more than five years old. Use school code 5233 – University of Central Florida. You do not need to select a department when sending your GRE scores to UCF.
The locations where you can take the exam are on the ETS website. Please note that you should enroll to take the GRE General Test. If you have already taken the GRE, log into your ETS account for information on sending score reports to UCF.
6. Submit 3 Reference Names
FIEA requires that you turn in 3 references with your portfolio. These references should be willing and able to attest to your academic, professional and personal achievements.
Note: References do not have to write letters on your behalf and you only have to submit their contact information (detailed below) to FIEA. FIEA will contact references at our discretion.
Please provide no more than one reference from a family member or friend. FIEA prefers references from professors, academic advisors, supervisors and others who can attest to your academic skills and work habits. References can be submitted with your portfolio or can be emailed separately to admissions.
Please include the following info:
- Reference Name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Relationship to applicant